Melania Trump Says Women Who Accuse Men of Sexual Assault Need to Show Evidence
During her first solo trip to Africa, First Lady Melania Trump sat down with ABC for an exclusive interview, where she commented on the recent #MeToo movement.
When asked about the movement, she said, “I support the women, and they need to be heard. We need to support them and also men, not just women.” She was then asked if men in the news who have been accused of sexual assault have been treated unfairly, to which she said, “I do stand with women, but we need to show the evidence. You cannot just say to somebody, ‘I was sexually assaulted or you did that to me,’ because sometimes the media goes too far and the way they portray some stories, it’s not correct. It’s not right.”
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
Her statement comes after a political whirlwind surrounding the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who was publicly accused of sexual assault by multiple women. After a hearing and a brief FBI investigation concerning the accusations, the Senate voted to confirm him anyway.
Melania’s statement echoes one made previously by her husband, President Donald Trump, who said “it is a very scary time for young men in America,” which is, you know, debatable.
ABC’s full interview Being Melania will air on ABC on Friday at 10 p.m. EST, and she will be discussing her cyber bullying campaign, her husband’s alleged affairs, The Jacket, and more.